Monument to the Discoveries
Monument in Lisbon, Portugal
The Monument to the Discoveries (in Portuguese “Padrão do Descobrimentos”), created by Cottinelli Telmo (1897–1948) and the sculptor Leopoldo de Almeida (1898–1975), was first erected in 1940, in a temporary form, as part of the Portuguese World Exhibition. Built with perishable materials, it had a light iron and cement frame, while the moulded sculpture was made of gypsum (formed of plaster and burlap, and reinforced by a wooden and iron structure).
photo credit: Ron Theunissen Lisbon: monument to the discoveries via photopin (license)